A scheme for restoring
the Church of St. Mary was proposed in 1858 with a Mr Jeckell mentioned
as the architect on the tender. The work was undertaken by Francis and
Francis of London, who in 1868 added the South outer Aisle and rebuilt
the South Porch. They also installed a benching scheme.
The North outer
Aisle had been built in 1822 and this was demolished and the North and
Outer North Aisles were rebuilt in 1869, with the former Lady Chapel of
the Argentein Family being rebuilt and enlarged. In 1889 the Nave and
Chancel were re-roofed and the Clerestory windows renewed. A new
chancel arch was erected to replace the original one of the Decorated
period, and the interior of the Nave was restored all at a cost of
Finally the galleries came down and so opened up the view through the
double aisles, adding extra light into the Nave, and at the same time
an organ was erected at a cost of £500 in place of the one formerly in
the West Gallery which had already been removed to a position north of
the Chancel. A choir organ was presented by Mrs Percy Warwick in 1894.
Although the original East Window of the South Chapel of Decorated
period tracery was retained, the five-light Perpendicular Chancel East
Window was renewed.
The St. Loye or St. Louis Chapel was furnished in memory of James and
Fanny Parry in 1920, and refurnished as the Lady Chapel in 1977. The
former Lady Chapel, which was built by the Argentein Family is now the
Choir Vestry, and the North Transept Chantry Chapel, which was
dissolved at the Reformation, now forms part of the North Aisle with
the pillars each side showing by the flat face where a stone partition
wall had formerly stood.