Memorial brasses were
images of the dead which were engraved on brass, inset into stone slabs
and then set into the church floor. They often carried latin messages
to pray for the souls of the dead which have been removed.
has three surviving brasses, with two mounted on the walls of the
entrance to the tower, each side of the font. On the left is half an
effigy of John Everard, a member of a Linstead family who died in 1476,
and on the right is the inscription for William Fyske who died in 1512.
Part of a third brass, to John Browne who died in 1581, was dredged
from the River Waveney, near Bungay, in 1825, and commemorates also his
wife, 6 sons and 10 daughters. It records that he died at the age of
eighty having at that time 54 of his 65 grandchildren still alive. The
section of the brass to have survived is hinged to the wall adjacent to
the South Chapel, so that the back can be seen. This shows that the
Browne memorial brass was engraved on the back of a Flemish brass which
had been re-used. The brass of his son, John Browne, who died in 1591
and the brass figures of his wife and six of his sons are at Spexall
Church. His wife Silvester died in 1593 and is shown dressed in cap,
ruff and gown.
The memorial slabs from which the brasses have been lost are now in the
South Chapel and are almost certainly of Sir William
Argentein (d.1419) and his wife Margery. These were originally in the
old Lady Chapel, built by the ArgenteIn FamIly, whIch is now the Choir