of the most interesting buildings in Halesworth is the Gothic House,
which lies opposite the Church in London Road.
Both Gothic House and Dairy Farm (Dairy Farm having the timbered exterior to the right of
co-joined building) were originally two seperate buildings, lying
parrallel to each other, and at right angles to London Road. They are
now joined together and share a long juttied
structure can be traced back
to the 15th century, when it consisted of two houses set at right
angles to the road. In the 'Halesworth Manor Extent' of 1577, we
learn that 'Walter Norton Esquire
holds freehold a capital messuage
which formerly was two messuages in the tenure of John Bunting and
Thomas Baxter and now they are joined together'. It also
their joint rent was annually 2s.4d (12p). We don't know who these
men were, but there was earlier a tenement listed in
the Account Roll of 1375
called 'Buntyng' and in the
1577 Extent are references to Bunting's
Lane and Bunting's Fen. It is probable that John Bunting held what is
now known as Gothic House, and Thomas Baxter the Dairy Farm.
North end wing originally had an open hall, possibly of 15th century
date, which is the Gothic House section, while the South end wing had
the front built around 1500,
with the rear part rebuilt later.